|author||João Valverde <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2016-03-03 07:14:34 +0000|
|committer||João Valverde <email@example.com>||2016-03-03 07:14:53 +0000|
Revert "autotools: Use explicit zlib dependency build flags"
This reverts commit 2bded0b66137a2f1c8b69911d91903a24f8a2624. Change-Id: Ic898c65df4daaa395eb010e0286d97509346d43a Reviewed-on: https://code.wireshark.org/review/14318 Reviewed-by: João Valverde <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Diffstat (limited to 'acinclude.m4')
1 files changed, 60 insertions, 40 deletions
diff --git a/acinclude.m4 b/acinclude.m4
index b467ef75bf..b432d4cea2 100644
@@ -593,45 +593,31 @@ AC_DEFUN([AC_WIRESHARK_PCAP_REMOTE_CHECK],
- if test "x$zlib_dir" = "x"
+ if test "x$zlib_dir" != "x"
- PKG_WIRESHARK_CHECK_SYSTEM_MODULES(ZLIB, [zlib], [zlib_found=yes], [zlib_found=no])
- if test x"$zlib_found" != xyes; then
- if test "x$zlib_dir" != "x"; then
- # The user specified a directory in which zlib resides,
- # so add the "include" subdirectory of that directory to
- # the include file search path and the "lib" subdirectory
- # of that directory to the library search path.
- AC_WIRESHARK_ADD_DASH_L(ZLIB_LIBS, [$zlib_dir/lib])
- AX_APPEND_FLAG(-lz, ZLIB_LIBS)
+ # The user specified a directory in which zlib resides,
+ # so add the "include" subdirectory of that directory to
+ # the include file search path and the "lib" subdirectory
+ # of that directory to the library search path.
+ # XXX - if there's also a zlib in a directory that's
+ # already in CPPFLAGS or LDFLAGS, this won't make us find
+ # the version in the specified directory, as the compiler
+ # and/or linker will search that other directory before it
+ # searches the specified directory.
+ CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I$zlib_dir/include"
+ AC_WIRESHARK_ADD_DASH_L(LDFLAGS, $zlib_dir/lib)
- # Make sure we have "zlib.h".
+ # Make sure we have "zlib.h". If we don't, it means we probably
+ # don't have zlib, so don't use it.
- CPPFLAGS="$ZLIB_CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS"
- # We link with zlib to support uncompression of
- # gzipped network traffic, e.g. in an HTTP request
- # or response body.
if test "x$zlib_dir" != "x"
@@ -655,24 +641,58 @@ AC_DEFUN([AC_WIRESHARK_ZLIB_CHECK],
# We couldn't find the header file; don't use the
# library, as it's probably not present.
- AC_MSG_NOTICE(zlib.h not found - disabling gzip compression and decompression)
- if test "x$have_zlib" != "xno"
+ if test "x$want_zlib" != "xno"
+ # Well, we at least have the zlib header file.
+ # We link with zlib to support uncompression of
+ # gzipped network traffic, e.g. in an HTTP request
+ # or response body.
+ if test "x$zlib_dir" != "x"
+ WS_CPPFLAGS="$WS_CPPFLAGS -I$zlib_dir/include"
+ AC_WIRESHARK_ADD_DASH_L(WS_LDFLAGS, $zlib_dir/lib)
+ LIBS="$LIBS -lz"
+ AC_DEFINE(HAVE_LIBZ, 1, [Define to use libz library])
# Check for "inflatePrime()" in zlib, which we need
# in order to read compressed capture files.
- LIBS="$ZLIB_LIBS $LIBS"
- [AC_MSG_NOTICE(inflatePrime not found - disabling gzipped capture file support)])
+ if test "x$ac_cv_func_inflatePrime" = "xyes" ; then
+ # Now check for "inflatePrime()" in zlib when
+ # linking with the linker flags for GTK+
+ # applications; people often grab XFree86 source
+ # and build and install it on their systems,
+ # and they appear sometimes to misconfigure
+ # XFree86 so that, even on systems with zlib,
+ # it assumes there is no zlib, so the XFree86
+ # build process builds and installs its
+ # own zlib in the X11 library directory.
+ # The zlib in at least some versions of XFree86
+ # is an older version that may lack "inflatePrime()",
+ # and that's the zlib with which Wireshark gets
+ # linked, so the build of Wireshark fails.
+ AC_MSG_CHECKING([for inflatePrime missing when linking with X11])
+ AC_TRY_LINK_FUNC(inflatePrime, AC_MSG_RESULT(no),
+ AC_MSG_ERROR(old zlib found when linking with X11 - get rid of old zlib.)